Dear Jon

> I have joined the club, my flat back may or not be considered a lute, but
> it shares one characteristic. The chanterelle broke after five days of
> stringing.

Welcome to the club!

But I think there is an error in your "shares a characteristic" statement!
I have played lutes since the early 80's of last century, I have (and have
had) several lutes. Only very, very seldom have any of my chantarelles broken,
perhaps 3 times in all these years with all these lutes...

I think there must be something wrong with the bridge of your new instrument!

cheers

Arto