Vance, and all,

You were correct about the harp knot being unnecessary, in fact it was
counterproductive as when I tried it (even with a toggle to reduce the bend)
the chanterelle snapped in ten minutes rather than two days. But that might
have been as it was an already stretched string (which then snappped again
quickly in the middle of the vibrating length - I had not trimmed the peg
end so I could keep restringing by clipping the bridge end).

Also, it is not a function of the saddle bridge, at least directly. I marked
the segment of string with Magic Marker between the bridge saddle and the
bridge anchor and the break was at the anchor.

I think my problem is in the string selection by the kit maker - I have
written him and he admits he just used what La Bella (USA) told him to use.
Someone here sent me a message on string guages that suggested mine were
rather heavy for a lute (I think it might have been Martin, but I saved it
to look at it in detail, now I just have to find it on the computer). And
there was also a mention a = 415, whereas I tune to a = 440. So if my box
was inappropriately strung I'd have a "hard action", which I have - although
I''ve brought it down a bit - and a problem with string popping. I think
that the specs for the La Bella monofiliment strings (courses 1 to 4) are
wrong, the wound courses are an easy action and ring well. And as the kit
maker himself has had poor response from La Bella, and as I haven't been
able to get them on the phone, I don't think I'll use La Bella.

Best, Jon