>that's why I downloaded Alfonso's collection, although it took ages on my
>old messerschmidt PC. (It's an old Siemens =])

But at least those Messerschmidt PCs are nice and compact. :-)

>What a good idea and fine collection Alfonso! Together with the pictures
>McFeely's posted, it's excellent reference.

Speaking of which, I couldn't figure out how to download McFeely's
pictures in one swoop. Everything else is in PDF.

>I thought I had a theory about all those impossible stretches you sometimes
>encounter in the 1500's repertoire, that perhaps those old masters played on
>"small lutes", what we today would call A-lutes, and that is why we have
>such difficulties with doing justice to their music on today's 60 cm. +
>lutes?
>
>PS. Wish I had a teeny-weeny 6 or 7 course A-lute! Anyone who has
>experienced one?

I'm so glad you mentioned this. I just bought a WONDERFUL John
Rollins alto lute with a string length of 51cm. That was precisely
the thought that went through my mind as I read through stuff. It all
made sense! Of course the pics, as far as I know in my shallow
browsing, don't support the widespread use. In fact, sometimes they
often have huge lutes, but there is a lot that doesn't make sense in
the lute world and iconography. I hope others will chime in on this
thread.
cheers,
--
Ed Durbrow