At 04:04 PM 12/4/2003 -0600, Herbert Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Some industries just naturally have an insecure business model.  Examples
>include artistic sky writing,

Quite the contrary. Sky writing, like the manufacture of toilet paper and
strings for instruments, have a very secure business model where the
product has a very short life span. As soon as the writing in the sky blows
away with the wind, you have to do it all over again. I used to do that
kind of flying in my younger days.

>I hope that Napster et. al. will have the effect of reducing the overall
>commerciality of music, to mankind's great benefit.

The difference between commerciality and patronage is that one makes music
available to a large number of people and the other only to a select few.
As for the effect of free exchange of music, it is good to bear in mind
that the indigenous residents of the Kalahari desert, the rice farmers of
India and China, or the street beggars in the swampy slums of Bangladesh
are not part of this new fangled accessibility to music, yet they
constitute a considerable portion of this thing you call "mankind".

What we are really talking about is the replacement of commerciality with
free access to music by a very small segment of humanity, the one that is
rich enough to own personal computers and afford Internet access. The
reason Napster has not put out the big labels and the concerts promotes out
of business yet, is that the consumption of music in general in this  world
is far higher than the part of it which is consumed by pimply rich kids in
US suburbia. But as Hernan Mouro described to us the situation in
Argentina, we can see the writing on the wall when it comes to our little
corner of the world. Soon enough, we all close our doors and go put our
money in real estate or stocks and bonds, and what musicians will have to
put up with is an endless circulation of the same stuff. Nothing new will
come about. Not in contemporary music, and not in early music.

>   But, as our publisher
>friend pointed out, collapse of the tree in which facsimile publishing is
>perched may not be beneficial.

I think it will very beneficial for me to have this tree collapse. At least
that branch of it on which I am sitting. Just to imagine all the time in
the world I will have then to do the things that really matter, like
playing the guitar. And who knows, I may even buy back that lute Hans
Jordan made for me in 1960, on the recommendation of Diana Poulton. It's
available.

Matanya Ophee
Editions Orphe'e, Inc.,
1240 Clubview Blvd. N.