Vance,
I've been on the lute list serve for only a few months, and have been
surprised by the vituperative nature of some of the messages that have
been posted.  I've been on the verge of taking myself off the list
several times, because I find much of the heated discussion pointless
and a waste of bandwidth.

I have noticed that there is an ebb and flow to the flame wars that
coincides with the full moon.  We are just reaching a full moon right
now and are also cresting on another flame war.  If you watch the
postings over the next month, I think you will find that in 21-28 days
we are in the middle of another spate of heated emails.  About a year
ago the local newspaper did a study of crime statistics and interviewed
police, and came to the conclusion that although the actual number of
crimes rose only slightly during the full moon, the nature of the
crimes changed, with the crimes being of a much more aggravated nature.
  The worst period was in the week before the actual full moon.  During
that week people tend to react more strongly to perceived offenses than
they might otherwise.  Perhaps some of those writing heated emails
should check the moon phase, think twice, take a deep breath, let it
out slowly, and delete their message.

There are some truly awful things going on in the world today that
merit heated discussions.  The lute is not one of them.

Tim Motz