James,

I hope this is neither silly nor cute, but there is also the question of the
size of doors and people at the time. In 1947, at the age of twelve, I spent
a summer at a farm in England owned by a schoolgirl friend of my mother. The
house was over 400 years old and my room was on the second floor in the
back. I had to duck my head to go through the doorway, and I wasn't
exceptionally tall for my age. (Nor am I now, a normal 5'10" (178cm)).
Perhaps it was just the reach of the arms to tune the farther pegs, or the
convenience of passing through spaces. Although I could certainly agree with
the balance proposal.

(Vignette, my hostess had a dining room table that glowed, and she was often
asked how to make a table look that way. Her answer was "start with good
wood, then oil it once a week for 400 years".).

Best, Jon