James A Stimson wrote:

> Dear All:
>  There seems to be a very simple explanation for the bent-back pegbox: The
> joint is more stable. The glue holds the pegbox in place but is not
> subjected to upward pull -- as it would if the pegbox were in line with
> the
> neck.
> Yours,
> Jim

I'm inclined to agree with that as the basic, original reason, perhaps in
addition to pulling the strings down against the nut.

Those two reasons clearly account for the peg box angle on an instrument
such as the oud. But the lute's peg box angle is more extreme than an
oud's. I suspect the not-poking-the-guy-to-your-left explanation may have
some validity for the extreme angle used on the lute.
--
Rough-edged songs from a dark place in the soul:
http://DoctorOakroot.com