>My guitar teacher, Aldo Minella, has an absolute ear , and I remember he was
>suffering when he heard something not in tune, and by this I mean less than
>5 commas difference ( books say  human ear can't tell the difference below
>5 commas, but I also met other musicians who could tell it , and I think I
>have the same "problem"). I don't have an absolute ear, but I would say

I don't know what the usage in Italian is but so as not to confuse the English
speakers - you
probably mean "cents" and not "commas".

A cent is 1/1200 of an octave (100 cents = 1 equal tempered semione). Most books on
musical acoustics
quote a threshold of 4 cents for human pitch discrimination. I don't remember what the
basis is or whether anyone
has tested to see if those who claim they can do better really can. One of the the
perceptual clues that things
are not in tune is beats between the overtones. If the beats become so slow (because
the overtones are so close) that
the period of the beat is longer than the note, that clue disappears.

Comma is usually used to refer to  discrepencies in pitches. The main one you are
concerned with is the
Pythagorean comma - 12 perfect 5ths and 7 perfect octaves "should" get you to the same
note - but they
don't: 12 perfect 5ths get you about 23 cents higher (~1/4 semitone) than the seven
octaves.
Temperament is the business of where to sweep the 23 cents under the rug.

...Bob

PS: If anyone asks you "why temperament ?", the shortest answer is "2 to the N th
power = 3 to M th power has no non-trivial solutions for integer N and M" If nothing
else that should leave the questioner in stunned silence while you make your escape.
:-)

Replies: (remove the "ZZZZ")

Ekko Jennings:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Bob Clair:         [EMAIL PROTECTED]