Jon Murphy wrote:
> Rainer,
>

>>>PS: If anyone asks you "why temperament ?", the shortest answer is "2 to
>
> the N th power = 3 to M th power has no >>non-trivial solutions for integer
> N and M" If nothing else that should leave the questioner in stunned silence
> while >>you make your escape. :-)
>
>>Even a mathematical idiot will know that 2 is even and 3 is odd...
>

> I'm sure that Bob won't take the time to answer this, but you appear to have
> no knowledge of mathematical terminology.

You seem to be a mathematical genius - I am so dumb, I only have a master
degree in mathematics.

> "2 to the Nth = 3 to the Mth" when
> both M and N are zero. Any number to the power of zero is, by definition,
> one. So when Bob says "there are no non-trivial solutions" he means exactly
> that. The use of zero as the power factor would be a solution, but a trivial
> one. In mathematics there are "elegant" solutions, or proofs - and "trivial"
> ones - and a lot in between.

Apparently you have no idea what you are talking about.

> There was a lot of press a few years ago about
> the final solving of Fermat's last theorum. But so far as I'm concerned his
> proof has not been found, although the theorum has been proven. His marginal
> notes mentioned an elegant solution, too long for the margin. The proof of
> today uses math Fermat never conceived of. So either Fermat was wrong, or
> there is yet an elegant proof awaiting discovery.

I am sure you will find the proof.
Good luck!

Rainer adS

PS

For those who are not so smart:
There is no doubt that Fermat had NOT found his infamous proof. He even later
provided a proof for the special case n=4.