Ariel,

I assume that you really mean your comment, so will go further.

> > particularly Times Square). The Andean (Bolivia, Peru, etc.) is mainly
> > played on end blown flutes, pan pipes and drums, and is an infectious
> sound.
>
> Would you explain that a bit more extensively?

You are correct that the Andes are varied, I was using shorthand for a
particular sound. There has been a considerable immigration, or at least
visitation, by the Andean Indians (pardon the non PC designation). I fact
the first time I heard them was on Isle St. Louis in Paris some thirty years
ago. For the last twenty years they have been selling CDs (if we've had CDs
that long) and playing in NYC subway stations (along with Juilliard
violinists, and jazz saxaphonist - the latter mainly incompetant). They also
attend the flea market in Englishtown, NJ, where I live. One of the larger
in the US, where they play and sell the instruments (and most of those are
incompetant, and the instruments mass made).

The nature of the music is mainly a rhythmic "puff", both on the end blown
flute and the pan pipes, accompanied with a simple hide drum. The music is
harmonic, but not necessarily Western harmonies. The rhythm is complex, but
not as polyrhythmic as the African. The end blown flutes make a somewhat
"woofy" sound, in contrast to the purer sound of the Western side blown, or
the clear end blown whistle with its fipple and blade.

My guess is that most of these musicians are Bolivian, but that wouldn't
preclude the Northern Peruvian. I have no idea about the rest of the Andes,
nor any idea as to what they play at home. But the musicians are definitely
of native Indian origin, by their appearance. That has been told to me by an
old bartender friend, a Peruvian Indian who ended up tending bar in an Irish
joint in Hoboken.

Best, Jon