The pieces by FdM I'm playing are Fantasias 31, 32,  41, 81 and Ricercars 4,=
=20
67. I appreciate what you say, Ed, about them being more difficult than migh=
t=20
at first appear, but these at least are within the limits of other pieces I=20
have negotiated until now. There's nothing I can't get my fingers round and=20
being a musician by training, I know something  about imitations (though mos=
tly of=20
the 12-tone variety). Some of what you say about looking at the individual=20
voices has gradually dawned on me while I've sat there plinking and plonking=
, as=20
has the idea of playing the voices separately and seeing where they go and=20
how they sound.=20

I just couldn't believe the music would actually be so barren and aimless,=20
but only after a while did it occur to me that there might be more to it tha=
n=20
that. And then one voice after another emerged, and I'm still discovering=20
voices, just when I thought I'd found all there were in the music. Those are=
 the=20
strettos and the 'morphing' of themes you refer to, I imagine. You're right=20=
about=20
him being very imitative, and I enjoy that. It's good practice, loosens up=20
the fingers, and is also fine music, and as I don't have to please anyone bu=
t=20
myself (and my long-suffering wife), it is no great disaster if the result a=
re=20
not quite what Paul O'Dette might conjure up.=20

It's certainly been one of the great successes of the last years, taking up=20
the lute. I can now play to my heart's content, whereas with the guitar I ha=
d=20
to limit myself to about =BE 0f an hour or the left wrist started hurting wi=
th=20
the tendonitis. And the music is wonderful, an entirely new sound world to=20
explore.=20

Thanks one and all for the tips, cheers

Tom   =20