Bill,

You got it right, the care of the eagle, and other endangered species, has
passed through rationality into foolishness.
Like all other birds eagles lose a feather here and there, and raptors lose
more than most as they attack their prey.

The proper issue is the preservation of the bird, not the sale of the
feathers. We have an exemplar in the matter of ivory. One can't get the
tusks of a living elephant without killing him, and that is bad. And the ban
on ivory trade is logical, as it reduces the value for poachers - even
though there might be a legitimate trade in already dead ivory. When I was
working in Belgium, some twenty years ago, I bought a brooch of Tiger claws
with jewels for my lady. I'm all for saving the tiger, after all I went to
Princeton - but this was documented as made in 1860, and the settings
appeared to be that old. Was I participating in the killing of tigers?

The child with the eagle feather doesn't imply the killing of an eagle. Nor
does the ivory of an elephant imply the killing of that elephant. But the
economics are important. The ban on ivory has to have an effect as it
reduces the profit in the legitimate trade, and therefore the overall
demand. But eagle feathers? Eagles would only be endangered for their
feathers if the price of an eagle feather plectrum approximated the price of
the best lute in the world. The birds do lose feathers now and then. But
elephants don't lose tusks. Open your minds to the best circumstance, and
I'll knit you a sweater out of cat hair without killing my cat, just combing
her.

Best, Jon