>To add to Caroline's comment:  It was a common working practice from
the Renaissance through at least the early 20th century for artists
to accumulate drawings and watercolor paintings in sketchbooks as
they traveled, worked on projects, etc.  These sketches would be kept
as resource material to be used in composing oil paintings.  So that
details found in paintings could come from a wide variety of times
and original settings.  And the same detail could be used in more
than one painting.  And it all gets interpreted by the artist in
different ways depending on what the finished painting will be.

It's not exactly like clip art, but you have to assume that an artist
is using such resource material, not that he or she is painting what
is in front of them.

Tim