On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Roman Turovsky wrote:

> > Also, short of  having written tablature accompaniment for the d-min
> > lute (such as you have for your lieder),  is it at all common for people
> > to read bass figures with a d-min lute?
> No, although some do, with historical precedent.  I find the idea
> preposterous and out of character for the axe in question.

Preposterous? Ok, the
  http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-pre1.htm
explaíns
  PREPOSTEROUS
  Contrary to reason or common sense; utterly absurd or ridiculous.

So RT considers playing continuo with d-minor tuned lute "preposterious"
for that "axe". Could it be that he tried, but could not? I cannot do
that myself, but there are some who can. (I do not own the d-minor "axe".)
The instrument seems to suit very well to the late baroque idea of
continuo! I cannot see anything "preposterious" in that, but to my
understanding RT's comment is a very good example of a "preposterious"
statement.

About continuo: I really like to play it by my big theorbo in a.
Anyhow sometimes my archlute in g is a better choice. Especially when
accompanying a soprano. Or if the key of the piece has more than 2 flats
- you know what I mean... :-)

And my 10-course lute is also very usable with a smaller ensemble, one
singer or two. And much easier to carry! ;)

I plan to string and tune my smaller theorbo to d, a fourth higher than
the big one, as a theorbo "pour pieces". I have heard such an "axe" in
use, and it really gives nice and different continuo! It might be very
useful in accompanying sopranos? There would not be such a gap in between
the voice and the harmony. And I perhaps could stand one flat more... ;)

All the best

Arto