Dear all,

I would like to add something to my previous comment:

> I plan to string and tune my smaller theorbo to d, a fourth higher than
> the big one, as a theorbo "pour pieces". I have heard such an "axe" in
> use, and it really gives nice and different continuo! It might be very
> useful in accompanying sopranos? There would not be such a gap in between
> the voice and the harmony. And I perhaps could stand one flat more... ;)

One problem there is: Now I read the bass and numbers quite fluently
with my theorbo in a, with my g-lutes, and with my 4-course chitarrino
in a. It really could be a major task to add a theorbo in d to that
collection! Already now it sometimes happens that the instrument in my
hands - let's say for example theorbo in a - accidentally changes to
another instrument for a second or two - for ex. to a lute in g - and it
is so embarrassing to play, let us say for example a B flat-major chord
instead of C-major chord! ;)

You who play continuo by different instruments, you must know the
situation? Any good advice for learning more and more continuo
instruments? One possibility could be to forget the keys and start
thinking just in intervals? That could make also transposion "in-fly"
easier!

These matters also explain, why I am not going to add d-minor tuning
to my continuo interests... ;-)

All the best,

Arto