> In my opinion
WHich is a bit "leaky" as we say in the old country.

> how it could be used is more important than what you call it.
> Depending on how you tune a six-course instrument, it could function as
> a guitar, requinto (actually a "requinto" lute in this case), renaissance
> lute,
> a laud, or a mandolino lombardo ottavo.
FYI, Hoffmann was a very important figure in the history of lute, and there
is no reason to inflict on him any abuse by linguistic daftness.

This was a gallichone (100% certainty, look at the neck and pegbox), which
suffered bridge displacement which is sadly not atypical. Both Budapest
Jauch and Brunner baroque lutes suffered this at some point during the 19th
century.
RT
--
http://polyhymnion.org/torban