From: Howard Posner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 25, 2005 10:42 AM
To: Tim Beasley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Lute net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Subject: Re: Questions from a newbie

Tim Beasley wrote:

> A second question deals with the difference between Renaissance/Baroque
> lutes.  Apparently the most common varieties of the two differ by a single
> string (7 versus 8 strings).  I have to assume that there's more of a
> difference between the two, however, than that one string.  Is it fairly
> standard to play Baroque music on a Renaissance lute, or is the sound
> difference really significant?

What may not be obvious to a newbie from Thomas' response is that if you're
reading from tablature (and you will be, since you're tired of
transcriptions) you can't play music written for baroque d-minor tuning on a
lute in renaissance tuning.  You'd have to restring the instrument, and then
deal with the problem of what to do about the extra bass courses that an
eight-course renaissance lute doesn't have.  So playing French and German
music from mid-1600's and later on a renaissance lute is impractical.

++Rather than retrofit an exisiting instrument, it is better to get a different
instrument that was designed and bulit with the correct strings. Many people
who play lute music have a variety of instruments. For example, you could
have one renaissance lute (between 6 and 10 courses) an archlute or therobo
(14 courses) and a baroque lute (Dm tuning) with 11 to 14 courses, usually 13.
As for playing baroque music on a renaissance lute, it can be done but requires
a different version to be developed. You cannot read anything directly from tab
unless the tuning of your instrument matches that intended for the tab.

There are extended-neck instruments that can be strung either as archlutes
(in renaissance tuning with added bass strings) or as d-minor instruments.

If you're an amateur without virtuoso chops and don't have your heart set on
playing Weiss, I recommend a renaissance lute of no more than eight courses.

++You could start out this way, but sooner or later you will get addicted to
Weiss.

You can get a better idea of what we're talking about by going to a
lutemaker's sight and looking at pictures.  Try David van Edwards' site,
which has lots of pictures that seem to load quickly and easily:

http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/index.htm#lute

If you don't get two copies of this message, you're not subscribed to the
list.

Howard Posner