Marion,

Often a lute duo would consist of a tenorista playing the tenor perhaps
with a plectrum (or fingers) or playing the tenor and another noncantus
line w/out plectrum (or in combination? see below). Most of the vocal
nonliturgical music (but by no means all) from this period is for 3
voices and this works fairly often.

A very good example would be the duet of the chanson, "Je ne fay" in
the first Spinacino book. There, the 2nd lute part is a nearly exact
intabulation of the lower voices and the top line rattles around in
variations on the cantus that would fit nicely w/ the plectrum. A more
exact setting is in the first Petrucci Odhecaton (A). Yet another
setting for organ sets the lower 2 voices in organ tab and the cantus
(w/ diminuations) in mensural notation, again, offering a variety of
interpretations. The words can be found in H.H.'s Odh A or H.M.Brown's
"A Florentine Chansonniere" and the latter translates the humorous
text.

There are more many examples in various manuscripts that fit the lute
duo scenario. Whether they are *specifically* for lutes is open to
debate but Crawford and the late Mr. Schroeder make a strong argument
to the positive.

By the way, I received a note from another of Crawford Young's duet
partners who says another lute technique is to pluck w/ the plectrum
and still use other fingers to get another voice in.

all the best,
Sean