This is really a very interesting thread!  I memorize pieces for solo
performance, and sight read (duo, or whatever) ensemble pieces.  I find that
memorization actually gives me much more freedom in interpretation, from one
performance to the next.  I memorize the notes, not the way I play them.  The
guitar
repertoire is as vast as that of the lute; it's not like we have to just learn
a few "masterpieces" and then begin our world tours.  For the audience, I
think concerts are like "theatre".  To sit down and play with nothing between
you
and them but your instrument, probably seems a bit magical.  Imagine going to
a production of Shakespeare, or an opera, and having the cast walk out with
notebooks to recite their lines from, or remind them of the lyrics...

James