From: Michael Thames <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Mar 31, 2005 7:34 AM
To: "Dr. Marion Ceruti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, lute net <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>,
        Denys Stephens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Roman Turovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: memorization

>Michael,

>How would you estimate the breakdown of the 3000 who play lutes?
>How many play renaissance lute only? How many play >baroque lute only?
>How may play both, theorbo, etc? How many play lutes >who have NOT
>also studied guitar? Has anyone done a study on the >statistics? A master's
>thesis?

>Best regards,
>Marion

     Marion,
   I don't know how accurate my break down is, so don't take it to the bank,
   I think I read that Dick Hoban, did a poll of the lute society and found
70% ren.lute and 30% baroque lute, but speaking with Nancy Carlin, she said
the baroque lute is now at about 40% and raising.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com