MT wrote

"Renaissance music is not Romantic music (in the
context of the music history definition of the word)
-the players role is often to detach one's ego from
the performance and let the music speak for itself."

Oh- what treatise did you find the detached ego stuff
from - seems to me that your ego needs to be there -
or maybe you are not allowed to use your ego unless
you are playing baroque music and all that "Doctrine
of Affection's Stuff' I'd really hate to play Dowland
or daMilano and break some sort of Early Music Mafia
rule. God forbid!!!!!

Sal