I have two remarks on the Baroque lute to guitar transcriptions:
-One big problem is the sound of the basses on the guitar that are
relatively dull when compared to the lute. This is aggravated by the
fact that lute music naturally makes of the richness of its bass
register. So is it a good idea to take the best of one instrument to
replace it by the worst of another?
-Two: lute music relies mostly on first positions, whereas the guitar
not only allows for high position fingerings but often sounds best in
the higher positions.
Because of those two points, I personally tend to think that the best
arrangements of Weiss's music on the guitar would involve transposing
upward, maybe as much as a fifth sometimes.
The 8-string guitar  which has both an extra bass and an extra treble
could work very well in that model. But in this day of revival of the
lute, there is little point in transcribing for the sake of it, without
paying attention to what the guitar could actually  bring  in terms of
its own qualities.  At least at the professional level.
Alain