>> As to ergonomics: a slight variation won't matter much. But if you'd
>> compared a Hoffmann against an Edlinger you wouldn't be asking this
>> question.
> Once again, I'm not talking about any modification with precedent in
> baroque-era pieces.  I'm sorry, but the best examples I can call to mind
> are the "baroque" mandolini of Dan Larson and the barockmandolinen of
> various current German luthiers (Dietrich, e.g.): nice lute-related
> instruments with nice sound, but of dimensions/proportions unlike anything
> of the baroque to rococo era, in spite of baroque inspired decor and gut
> strings/frets.  I'm certain there are proper-lute parallels, even if not so
> obvious.
Anlike anything baroque/rococo???  How so?

>> ...I could tell you that there is nothing wrong
>> with playing vihuela music on a guitar, celesta, wurlitzer or any other
>> instrument. However the same consensus would tell you that this has only
>> about 10% of the pleasurability of vihuela music being played on a vihuela
>> (when played as it should be, as in Ariel Abramovich).
>

> I play vihuela music on a speculative vihuela too, although, unlike Ms.
> Abramovich, without professional ability/aspiration.  As I imagine Ms.
> Abramovich feels, I really enjoy doing so.  ...But that's a side topic and
> was only given as an example of my not being offended by a _little_
> flexibility in reproduction luthiery.  When I indulge in vihuela music (or
> even 5-course guitar music) on modern guitar, I approach it as
> transcription and enjoy it as such.
This is fine. I personally have enjoyed trancriptions when played by
sensitive musicians like Lagoya-Presti or Benitez, but going all the way is
a lot better than half-measure, especially if there is a definite
opportunity, ifyouacquiremydrift.
 RT
Roman M. Turovsky
http://turovsky.org