>There are only two authenticated Stradivari mandolini >and two
authenticated guitars to have survived (along >with a few leftover parts and
some guitars of dubious >attribution).

      That's news to me, that there are 2 surviving guitars by Stradivari. I
know of the well known one with the longer than usual string length.
     At the Cremona Museum there was only a broken off neck of a guitar by
Stradivari that I noticed.  I'm sure I would have seen a guitar there if
there was one.  I hope I didn't over look it.
    There was also a template for a therobo, as well.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com