I'm not sure to whom to reply, so I pick on the good Dr. of Chemistry. It
comes down to the question of what is perfection. Is a straight line
straight, or is a mess of fractals (don't pick on me for the joking
reference, I realize that there is more to fractals). Are we really going to
go to this level? If I shave my lute soundboard to a fraction of my goals,
but one small segment is a ten thousandth of a millimeter off will it affect
the sound (Answer, it will, but will I hear it? Every tiny difference
effects a totality, but the effect isn't necessarily noticeable - or
predictable).

Chemistry isn't Physics, and Physics isn't Chemistry - and Quantum Mechanics
(my day, fifty years ago - now should we say Quantum Theory) would suggest
that everything is random and undefined, but statistically comes to a form
when treated as a whole. (Sorry love, I'm trying to be careful to put this
general terms).

I know that I've sent you a private message on the topic regarding my father
at Bell Labs, but your rather detailed comments here require me to comment.
Symmetry and crystaline structure are both synonymous, and also a matter of
degree, in fact everything is a matter of degree. My father sent an internal
memo to his colleagues at the Labs in about 1047, it had to do with his
theoretical speculation on what might happen at the P/N junction of a doped
crystal, a crystal whose structure was compromised by impurities. He was
working with quartz, a very stable crystalline structure. Schockley's crew
was working in Germanium, less strict in structure. It didn't work with
quartz, but Germanium was flexible and we got the transistor (and Schockley
the Nobel, although it was the crew that did it). Silicon based transitor
crystals came in later, with developement.

Where is the point? Not in the perfection of structure or symmetry. Those
don't exist if you go deep enough. Even though I'm a political conservative
I'll support relativism when it comes to the perfection of sound, or the
symmetry of the scale. And I'll not email our good Dr. of Chemistry to argue
the left and right hand symmetry, we all know that the well made lute will
have a difference of bracing and soundboard shaving to accomodate the bass
versus the treble. That isn't symmetry, that is good design and making.

I repeat, nothing is symmetrical if you go to the right level. The String
Theorists are proposing 13 levels, and 13 can never be symmetrical. But that
isn't important, what is important to the musician is the symmetry of
sound - and that isn't really a symmetry. We all know that the natural
overtone scale of the tensioned string has faults in it when compared to our
chosen even temperament scale. Perfection is the exact form (frequencies) of
the overtones on the single string, but that isn't perfection when wanting
more notes, or different keys. How many times must I punctuate with the
Pythagorean comma? And does my cat hear the tones as in the Oriental natural
scale, or hear the nuances of the middle eastern quarter tones (and they are
a bit smaller than that - my personal ear distinguishes about 5 cents, or
less, on the cent scale where a half tone is 100 cents). What is a pleasant
and harmonic sound? It isn't defined by the physics of sound vibrations,
else we would have none. It is the compromise of our scales, and the
training of our ears.

Luckily my mind is asymmetrical, so I've no horse in this race (or dog in
this fight). I shall retire to bed and contemplate my navel (were I able to
see it). But I shall do so with well made popcorn (as I will make it) and a
good book.

It is a matter of level when one discusses symmetry. And it is a matter of
level when one accepts or denies it. I'm not sure if I accept fractals as
geometry, but the advocates have a point (no pun intended, they do have
points on a straight line).

Best, Jon

> The term "perfect symmetry" does not exist in chemistry. The branch of
mathematics that deals with the
> characterization and categorization of symmetry is called "group theory."
Molecules and crystals are
> categorized according to the degree and type of symmetry into groups.
Depending on the temperature and
> pressure of the ice, the crystals will belong to one "point group" or
another. If one were to apply the
> principles of group theory to lutes, most lutes would belong to the C1
point group. That means that the
> lute is not superimposible on its mirror image. This is why we need
right-hand and left-hand lutes. If anyone
> does not believe me he or she is welcome to email me off list and we can
debate it.

good approximation, but perfect symmetry runs afoul of the second law of
thermodynamics, leading to things like point defects and dislocations.

Laguillo<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   Sent: Monday, May 23, 2005 10:34 AM
>   Subject: Re: symm/asymm & perfect/imperfect
>

>   >b. Symmetry is one of the least interesting forms of >composition. It
is
>   >a cheap trick, and it is wise to avoid it. BTW, the nazi >architects
>   >(Albert Speer...) used it a lot
>
>         Interesting to note, the best lutemakers of the ren. were Germans.
>
>   >    Actually symmetry does not exist in nature, but >something much
more
>   >exciting: the appearance of it, without really being it
>
>        I'm not sure, but would venture to say, symmetry exists in ice
crystal,
>   and crystal formations?
>
>   Michael Thames
>   www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com<http://www.thamesclassicalguitars.com/>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>; "LUTELIST"
> [...]
>   > (Albert Speer...) used it a lot.
>   > Actually symmetry does not exist in nature, but something much more
>   > exciting: the appearance of it, without really being it.
>   > In the japanese aesthetic there is a word I can't remember now for
this
>   > idea of being perfect precisely through imperfection.
>   >
>   > All this relates with something of paramount importance in the
>   > interpretation of early music, that we all know, and that I am going
>   > express with an example: if we have a measure with 4 /\  /\ , each one
>   > has to be played with a  different accent, stressed differently. This
is
>   > difficult for us because we were born in an epoch where everything is
>   > mechanic, and handmade objects are luxury... Remember William Morris?
>   >
>   > I will dare to recommend you a book, Michael, that you could enjoy a
>   > lot: Lewis Mumford, Technics and Civilization.
>   >
>   > Saludos,
>   >
>   > Manolo Laguillo
>   >
>   >
>   >
>   > Michael Thames wrote:
>   >
>   > >>Lundberg did not say that lute bellies weren't symmetrical, >just
that
>   the
>   > >>
>   > >>
>   > >lute
>   > >
>   > >
>   > >>as a whole doesn't have a clear center line.
>   > >>
>   > >>
>   > >
>   > >          Without getting lundbergs book out, he says something to
the
>   > >effect that there isn't a straight line on the lute except the
strings.
>   > >     I guess it depends on how you look at it.  I prefer to think in
>   terms
>   > >that the lute has a center line and the neck is tilted.
>   > >     From my experience with the few different lutes I've made, the
>   > >originals are not perfectly symmetrical. For many reasons age, stress
>   etc.
>   > >poor workmanship. For this reason alone, coming across Stadivari's
>   template,
>   > >and seeing first hand that lutes were conceived from the beginning to
be
>   > >perfectly symmetrical cleared up at least for me some of the mystery.
>   > >     I know many makers will copy a lute with every distortion, and
>   > >imperfection, it seems for me that this might not be the way to do
it.
>   > >     I wonder if these early makers had some mind set to stop just
made