>I figured we had to be talking at cross-purposes.  I think >what you've
been
>trying to say is that whatever the neck angle is, it's >possible to design
an
>instrument around that neck angle such that the action is >perfect.  This
is
>quite different from saying it doesn't matter what the neck >angle on a
lute
>is, which is what most of us assumed you meant in the >context of the

   Exactly, I guess this rather stubborn streak in me is a result of dealing
with guitarist's and repairmen, who are very quick to jump to the conclusion
that the neck angle is the source of all evil. With the guitar there are
many things that can be done to fine tune the action beyond simply just the
neck angle.
     It's gotten to the point that most guitarist's tell me that the neck
angle affects the playability, and the feel or tension of the strings (
which is deferent than simply the height of the strings).
     This happened 2 days ago.  Customer ordered a guitar and was describing
to me the string tension he wanted and  heard that the neck angle affects
the tension.  I then said that's untrue. I  said many things affect the
tension but the most important factor is the stiffness of the top., and the
height of the strings off the top.
     In the lute it's a different story, there is no room for error.  For a
lute to be properly set up there is no choice the neck angle is a given.

Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com