Matanya,
This strikes me as an extremely naive attitude. Documental evidence has
lead many people to the wrong conclusions, as documented by the
thousands (millions, actually) of pseudo-scholarly papers churned out by
both private and public research facilities. I'd rather read liner notes
by someone who knows what he is doing, because the chances of his being
wrong leading to an interesting mistake are much higher.
Science's progress is not from one truth to another, but from one giant
mistake to a different one. Sometimes, we get lucky, and the mistake
turns out to be useful. Sometimes we get the H-bomb.
As for History, it is but a long series of misreadings feeding on each
other.
Alain, in a cynical mood :)