David wrote:

>> playing late 16th c. vs. Medieval music) perspective. I'm curious about the
>>difference in sound quality as well as the historicity of
>
>Since when is nylgut historical?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was speaking of the historicity of using non-metal
wound (gimped in period) for the lower octaves on a six course vs. thicker gut.
In my case I'm using Nylgut because I haven't developed my playing skills to
the point that I'm willing to put the money and time (in that order) into
strings that are as touchy and hard to deal with as gut. When I'm as good as
Ronn McFarlane or Paul Odette it will be a different matter. But at least I'm
using a string that is closer to the historical sound of gut (NOTE: I did not
say identical to the sound of gut) than carbon fiber or nylon.

Regards,
Craig

Signup at www.doteasy.com