Hi Sean,

>I think you mentioned Annapolis...I heard my first lute concert at
>Great Hall at St John's --probably the best hall in town.

I'm about 20 miles south near by not quite overlooking the Bay. And I've heard
St. John's is nice but I haven't had the opportunity to attend a concert there.

>Getting back to Octaves: A largish gut string from the 4th course down
>will have an increasingly thuddy sound on an untheorbo'd neck. There's
>no way all that diameter can create overtones. Therefore, as the string
>is pared down w/ loading and metal it has a chance to create overtones
>like its smaller brothers as well as letting it ring longer. Pairing a
>metal string w/ an ocave gut is, in a sense, gilding the lilly.

So if one were to go with all gut, you'd recommend a gimped or even a loaded
gut bass fundamental against a gut 8ve?

>For a 6c lute I'd suggest roped 6th and 5th courses paired w/ a gut or
>nylgut 8ve (prefs in that order).

Ok, you'll have to explain "roped" to me as applies to strings. I take it you
mean gut strings in this case?

>The 4th works fine with a solid gut
>string and a gut, nylgut (or even nylon) 8ve. This is what I've used
>for the past 5 years on all my 6c's and I've enjoyed a very balanced
>sound both for the course and for the lute overall. The fundamentals
>usually last me about a year or longer, depending on use while the gut
>octaves go intonation-funny much sooner. Your kilometerage may vary.

I've just changed my 4th course from octaves to unision. I like the feel and
playability of it. I was getting uneven plucking because the neck on my 6c is
thinner than I'm used to because I don't play it as often as the 8c (or as
often as I should). This has helped a lot in making my playing more consistent.
When I do get around to building a six course lute I will make the neck a bit
wider just to see how this affects my playing.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,
Craig

Signup at www.doteasy.com