>  However, I can't imagine
> the intonation being better when you play 6th course-5th fret,
> compared to
> 5th course-open.

On the other hand, maybe you tune it to be correct at those frets where
it's stopped because:

a) it sounds horrible as open
b) if your thumb 'lives' somewhere on the bottom course, that becomes
the "open" string.
c) ??

The rates are lovely at the Hotel Speculation this time of year, aren't
they?

Sean