Dear Stuart,

Long necks make a lot of sense. Fingering chords and polyphony w/ the
left hand can get difficult up the neck --don't you just hate 'i's on
the 6th course? Single lines are much easier and you still have that
low range if you need it. Also, w/ a longer string length you get a
larger space between the 12th and 11th fret, for example, than those
little short necked turtles.

I've often heard that those glued-on high frets are a modern invention.
Is that still the prevailing theory?

I wonder if early lutes offered more than 9 or 10 frets on the neck?
I've often seen vihuelas w/ 10 tied frets and my ren guitar has 11.
Maybe that was the waisted instruments' lure....

Sean