Dear Stewart,

To be honest I don't know what edition our director got this from.
He's transcribed his score into a music program and printed it out in
larger type without all the incidental comments of the publisher
and/or composer and that's what we're singing from. He mentioned the
July/truly pronunciation to us in order that we sing it that way but
gave us no further insight into the origins of the direction as
written on the score.

While I have a copy of S&B's edition of Morley's First Booke of
Ayres, April is not in there. I see that S&B sell an individual sheet
of this song and I'll have to see if I can get a copy. I'll drop a
line to the von Huene Workshop in Boston to see if they carry it.
Otherwise I'll order it direct from S&B and just wait for the British
Post to catch up to the U.S. Post.

On a related note of pronunciation, I have sung the Boar's Head Carol
with two different groups. The director of the first had us sing the
first line "The boar's head in hand bear I, bedecked with sage and
rosemar-eye" while the director of the second changed "I" to "we" and
pronounced rosemary properly. I love language and am always
interested in trying to figure out the pronunciations of period
English within the context of whatever I'm reading, be it poem, song,
play or document.

Thank you for your comments and insights.

Kind regards,
Craig