Stewart McCoy wrote:

> I can think of quite a bit of baroque guitar
> music which explores remote keys, and where equal temperament would
> have to be the order of the day.

But it would not *have* to be anything of the sort, unless you assume
that a composer writing in F-sharp major expected it to sound like C
major a tritone higher.  Some 17th-century keyboard pieces wander into
distant keys, and no one who has looked into it suggests that this
meant the keyboard was tempered equally.  The natural assumption is
that the explorations into keys outside the normal ones were supposed
to sound weird and outlandish (indeed, "weird" and "outlandish" mean
"beyond familiar territory"), making the return to comfortable C or G
more pronounced and even dramatic.  The urge to tame the distant keys
by making the normal keys less in tune has a lot to do with
20th-century listening habits.

HP