----- Original Message -----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Friday, April 7, 2006 8:24 am
Subject: [LUTE] Re: 1733 ebay lute for a mere ...

> I would tend to think it is a fake.
> In the late 19th century they often used more or less original
> labels to increase the value of their fake instruments.
> The instrument itself very much looks like a wandervogel
> instrument and as far as I can judge watching the pictures i don't
> see any parts which could be original.

I'm inclined to agree.  There might be something of an original Hoffman
somewhere in there, but I'd approach with extreme skepticism.

Eugene

PS: Bill, "swan-neck" isn't usually used to describe a simple, curved, oud-like
pegbox.  It usually describes a baroque lute with a supplemental pegbox to
support the diapasons, like this guy:
< http://www.vanedwards.co.uk/36.htm >