On May 2, 2006, at 11:18 AM, Craig Allen wrote:
> I"ve tried playing the lute standing up without a strap and it's
> very difficult for me. So I prefer to sit with a piece of suede
> across my knee to keep the lute from slipping.

Me too.  I find it difficult to play standing up, in fact I even use
a strap when sitting down.  But for the purposes of a painting, it's
easy enough to pose with a lute standing up.  Maybe that's what they
were doing in those paintings;  although, the lute-playing angels
could probably levitate the lute to whatever position they
wanted...  ;-)  ;-)

David R
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com