in the 1st part of joseph baldassare's "playing the
lute in medieval europe" article (lute news 69 - 2004)
he states:

"... predominating evidence shows late-medieval
european luters standing without a strap on their
lutes.  this is especially true prior to the 15th
cent.  in the 15th cent., iconography suggests that
most players stood, but some leaned on supports such
as walls, posts or sat on stools or chairs ...

"when a player stood, the lute was often held with the
head tilted slightly down.  when the player was
seated, the lute could be in a 'neck down' position,
or parallel to the ground...  it should be also noted,
especially with larger lutes, that the belly of the
lute should be tilting slightly towards the floor.
this allows the weight of the outside of the right
hand to stabilize the lute even while picking, while
the left hand adds what little extra support is
necessary.

"it is commonly taught, with reasonable support and
logic, that the early 'thumb-under' right hand
technique ... came from the general 'down-up' motion
of the plectrum technique employed by medieval
lutists.  in much of the iconography, this right-hand
position locates the hand below the strings with the
arm located near the bottom of the instrument or even
under the lower bout or curve...  even though this
latter position may seem unreasonable, it may be
interpreted as representing how large lutes were
supported while standing.  iconography often shows
renaissance lutists standing or walking with their
lutes, with their right hand placed decidedly below
the strings. the tradition of renaissance lute players
placing their little finger on the belly of the lute
may perhaps have originated from the necessity of
medieval lutists holding their instruments in standing
positions or while walking."

joseph baldassarre's article is just about the only
lute related document i have - i hope he won't mind me
quoting from it.

i think for those who are more into recreating early
performance practices as opposed to those who pick and
choose from relevant historical information as they
will, strapless discomfiture is a necessary part of
the process.

i wrote a haiku poem, relevant to the discussion,
which may describe the trials strapless lute players
must endure for their art:

playing my oud nude
while waiting for the shower
red welts, ribs and thigh

- bill

--- Katherine Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> There are lots of renaissance pictures of people
> playing lutes while standing up without any sign of
> strap. Does anyone do this? Any ideas on how - or if
> -
> it could be done?
>
> I'm not having a go at strap-users; I'm just a bit
> puzzled - I have enough trouble keeping the thing in
> place when I'm sitting down.
>
> thanks,
> Katherine Davies

early music charango ... http://groups.google.com/group/charango

Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets.
http://uk.mail.yahoo.com