Believe or not, Katherine, even today there is some Spanish flamenco
guitarists that play guitar standing up without any strap (rather for
playing while singing). I used renaissance lute in this way, but I must to
recognise that the strap is more confortable... but not indispensable. I
have strap button since one month only. The instrument is sustained with a
mix of left hand palm, right forearm, belly [ more efficiently on fat
people, stop your diet immediately :-)) ] or chest and, in case of lute,
pinkie right finger. You can see to play guitar like this, for example, the
famous Spanish guitar and voice duo "Los del R=EDo", authors of the famous
"Macarena" song. Well, that seems a little off-topic. Excuse me.
Greetings,

Juan Fco.

2006/5/2, Katherine Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> There are lots of renaissance pictures of people
> playing lutes while standing up without any sign of a
> strap. Does anyone do this? Any ideas on how - or if -
> it could be done?
>
> I'm not having a go at strap-users; I'm just a bit
> puzzled - I have enough trouble keeping the thing in
> place when I'm sitting down.
>
> thanks,
> Katherine Davies

Juan Fco.