i screwed one of those strap pegs into the butt end of
my oud, made a leather strap with leather thong to
attach it to the peg box and i have to say it looked
ok - comfortable too - but i just pulled it all off
again.

the weakest point on an oud - i presume it's also for
a lute - is where the neck joins the body.   both my
ouds - one cheap, the other not - started to buckle at
this point, thus causing string buzz and it occurred
to me (duh! ... duh-duh!!) that placing an over the
shoulder strap on the instrument puts tugging pressure
at both ends and probably helped to bend it back on
itself, aggravating the aforementioned buckle at the
neck/body join.

if someone warned me of this beforehand, i obviously
didn't get it.

- bill

early music charango ... http://groups.google.com/group/charango