Thank you for this Rob,

  However I disagree.  As mentioned earlier there are other sources (eg
Michelmas) who discuss this further.

  regards

  MH

  PS what do you think the Old Ones used?

Rob Dorsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Hi Martyn,

I hate to be redundant all over again but, in my humble opinion (my wife
cautions me against that phrase owing that she reckons I've never had a
humble opinion) no oil of any kind should be used on the soundboard of a
lute, period, full stop, poink! Only nothing, a practical inconvenience
because you can't keep the board clean, or pure light shellac, seals the
wood and dries glass hard, or wax, issuing either from the bee or the wily
carnauba which I am made to understand is devilishly difficult to catch.

Again, in great fear of ranting (another of my bride's accusations) I will
reiterate ad nauseum, NO OIL ON THE SOUNDBOARD. As for others who counsel
oil I'm afraid that if God himself told me to put an oil varnish on a lute
belly, I'd reckon him wrong, gently forect him (he's...you know...after all)
and hope I didn't get transformed into a newt for my arrogance. Oil and
spruce, or cedar or redwood for that matter, don' mix unless you plan to
live in it or sit on it.

Thus endeth the rant, for the moment,
Rob Dorsey
http://robdorsey.com