Well, you say this but,  I beg to differ  having used plain Stand Oil (as I
already described -clearly) for many years (and I know others who use it).
Perhaps there's some difference between US Stand Oil and what we have in
England  - after all,  I thought you originally said that Stand Oil was merely
Boiled Linseed Oil and I then explained it was not.

  In short, it is indeed very viscous but by using a stiff rubber (thank you
Howard) it can be applied as a thin surface coat which does not penetrate.  Why
don't you try it as I suggested to Rob?  Of course, if your Stand Oil over
there is different it will prove nothing.

  rgds

  MH

Roman Turovsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Having said this,
To make it clear, stand oil cannot be used at all without being diluted in
turpentine, and in its usable form it certainly can penetrate any wood.
RT
> Thank you fr this. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear: by having an
> 'ancient history' I did not mean an history going back to antiquity
> (Greek/ Roman etc) but a long history of usage (in Europe). First
> (European) use in the 1400s, as you report, is quite old enough for me to
> give it a pedigree!
>

> MH
>

> Roman Turovsky wrote:
> >
>> Nonwithstanding the above, an earlier email mentions that David Van
>> Edwards suggests using oil on bellies and, since he is widely recognised
>> as being > one of the finest lute makers around today, you may also care
>> to reflect on this advice..
>>
>> Linseed Oil has an ancient history of widespread use in painting, wood
>> finishing and varnishes (including instrument varnishes) and was readily
>> available to the Old Ones.
> Linseed oil has no ancient history in painting.
> It was first used as a painting medium in Flanders by VanEyk in the
> 1400's,
> and brought into Italy by his student Antonello da Messina. The ancients
> already new that it had PH detrimental to fiber and required gelatin
> sealant
> barrier.
> RT

> The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address
> from your Internet provider.
> --

 All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of [EMAIL PROTECTED]@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard
protect you.