On Aug 24, 2006, at 5:19 AM, Jason Ferry wrote:

> I would like to know from lutenists who use straps for
> your instruments where you get them from. Do you use
> generic guitar straps, or make your own, or is there a
> supplier of straps that are specific to the lute?
> Also, from you experience are there particular types
> of material that are preferable, and widths, etc.

I have a couple of lightweight guitar straps that I use for my
lutes.  One, made by E. F. Martin, I particularly like because it's
light and wide, and seems to sit well across my shoulders.  Or I can
use a length of half-inch wide webbing material (the kind that's used
for handles on tote bags?) that goes under my right arm and attaches
to the left-hand end of the lute.  It holds the left end of the lute
up, while the body sits on my right leg.

DR
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.rastallmusic.com