>>> "What direction should the strings be plucked in for an optimum tone?"

> physics" one. And if my answer doesn't satisfy you, I do apologise.

Dear Alexander

All these emails seem to misrepresent the intentions of the writers. Let's
start afresh. I am very happy with the response you gave me. It showed me I
didn't understand all of the physics involved. Flexing of the top by means
of fluctuating energy imparted by the string to the bridge. Very good. Here
the direction of the attack of the string doesn't matter. Very clear. That's
the sustain part of the sound, I suppose. But Paul's experiment, and many
players' experiences, show that the angle of plucking does influence the
sound. Why? Is it the attack of the sound we influence? And how? On an
instrument with a bridge on which the strings rest (guitar) I imagine the
string to 'bounce' on the bridge, giving lots of energy through the bridge
to the top. Parallel vibrations just make the string 'slide' over that
bridge. My imagination, I know, but what of it? A parallel plucking motion
gives almost no volume. Then what about all the fluctuating and flexing
going on? Is the attack needed to set the bridge in motion? Cannot imagne
that, somehow.

David - innocently curious, but hapy with his tone most of the time
nonetheless

David van Ooijen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.davidvanooijen.nl