Where the bee stings, where the sting sucks, etc.
1. Sting's version is Sting's not HIP. Why would he do something else
when he knows that other people can do HIP better than him? And why
would we expect anything different.
2. Having said that, he at least had the decency of using an instrument
fairly close to the actual Dowland lute. Something that classical
musicians would not have dreamed of doing only 30 years ago.
3. The subtleties of the current discussion on the lutenist's
interpretation here are lost on 99.9999999+% of the world's population.
At which point does elitism become ridiculous? It's a question, not an
answer, preferably to be asked in a bar in downtown Nashville.
4. The little birds in the background are kitsch, really... That alone
would put Dowland on a par with your grandmother's wall paper, the one
she bought at Walmart: kill the damn birds I say! If at least, he had
used the recording of a swarm of bees, his message would have had more
profound semantic depth. That is the lost opportunity.
Alain