On Nov 24, 2006, at 12:06 PM, bill kilpatrick wrote:

> just out of curiosity, does any negative, contemporary
> criticism exist for the way dowland performed?  did
> anyone record the comments of others or personally put
> pen to paper, accusing him of arrogance or being a
> poseur - piqued commentary borne of envy, perhaps?

You would have to find evidence that Dowland was perceived as a
threat, just as Sting is on this list.  Were there musicians around
in Dowland's time narrow-minded enough to fear that their medieval/
renaissance world-picture would collapse like a house of cards if
anyone came along with a different take on the music?  I'm sure there
were!  Those were changing times for musicians, especially short-
sighted ones.  The thing about Dowland, though, was that he was
basically old-fashioned and somewhat backward-looking, and therefore
not a threat.

DR