> Gut strings over 114 cm? Is that really a question???

> Dear Anthony and all other string users
>
> Gut strings over 114 cm? Is that really a question??? Did they used
> Pyramid strings in the early 17th century???

That had been a belief expressed on the French site by one person,
who I quoted. Presumably, this person  imagined that longer strings
could only have been developed with a different material, or with
metal twist. This is probably based on the idea that given a
particular thickness of gut and a specific tension, the longer the
string, the more fragile it becomes: ie  there would be a maximum
length beyond which the string would simply break.

Although this person was mistaken here and admitted it, it underlines
what a number of people believe. That is, that as a given gut
string's length increases, so it tends to break more frequently.
Although I have gut strings on my Renaissance lute, I was told by a
number of competent lutists and lute makers that  gut stringing would
be very impractical on a Baroque lute, and they all referred to the
increased string length as the problem.

It seems as though this is either a tendency that has been
exaggerated, or not a tendency at all, since Ed Martin and others are
using gut strings on their Baroque lutes; but I would have liked to
clarify this. Perhaps only specific tension and thickness is relevant
to the breaking strain and length plays no part what so ever in this.
My small knowledge in physics does not help me here, and I have no
practical experience of using gut strings beyond 60 cm length.

> My question is:
> Has the change of the hand position something to do with a lower
> tension?

I think this is plausible. If the hand moves back towards the bridge
the strings seem to be under greater tension; as one moves towards
the rose they appear more slack, for obvious reasons. Many paintings
of Baroque players seem to show them with their hand near the bridge.
If they were using low tension strings this could be a way of
compensating for this.

However, it may also be true that, as the string numbers increase
during the transitional development of the lute, so there are more
strings present to resonate in sympthy giving more harmonics. Playing
nearer the bridge might then have been a way of obtaining a clearer
fundamental with less harmonics. If this were so, then the J-barring
to fan-barring in high Baroque might be considered as continuing this
compensation, as courses were further increased: it has  been
suggested that fan-barring  tends to underline the fundamental, while
J-barrings bring out more of the harmonic structure.

These are just passig thoughts, and I am sure this is far too
simplistic, a number of different explanations, may not exclude each
other.
regards
Anthony