Edward
        Thank you for this detailed reply.

> My 11 course lute is a Frei, copy of the Mouton lute.  It is also
> short, as you mentioned, at 67 cm.  The desirable thing about that
> short length is that a gut treble will stay on for a long time,
> even months.  For my 70.5 cm 13 course (Burkholtzer), a gut treble
> breaks much too often.  I think 67 or 68 is the upper limit for f
> at 415... any longer, and string breakage is a problem.  So, in
> order to make it work effectively, in gut, I have to lower the pitch.
>
> If you want to play both French and later German music on your 11
> course, I would advise to get perhaps a larger body than the small
> Frei (as I have).   It has a very sensitive, beautiful sound, but
> the larger instrument will certainly project more volume & depth in
> sound.

It was the Jakob Lindberg recording of Weiss on his 11c Rauwolf that
made me think this could be possible? Although during the London
meeting, I felt his lute sung best at  on the Denis Gaultier.
Interestingly, the Denis Gaultier text "Rhétorique des Dieux"
includes many "drawings" of lutes and they are all rather round-
bodied, not at all Frei shaped or even "Mouton" shaped. Another point
might be that this Rauwolf is fan-barred which is supposed to
underline the fundamental rather than the harmonic structure as J-
barring is supposed to do. Perhaps this shape and barring would be
better for later French to German Baroque. Presumably, the Frei with
J-barring would nevertheless cover the whole French Baroque period.
This makes does me hesitate as the "very sensitive, beautiful sound"
of the Frei is so tempting.

> I am sorry if I indicated that the 12th & 13th courses were single
> strung... they are in fundamental & octave, traditional stringing.
> I said "simple", not "single".  Simple implies no fancy swan neck,
> a standard bass rider.  And yes, with good stringing, it has
> wonderful sound, volume depth, and warmth of sound.

  Yes I did misunderstand the notion simple strung as meaning just
single diapason. I was reading the French list at the same time on a
similar topic, about the existence of archlutes with single
diapasons, and so I interpreted your remark in light of this.
although I was a little surprised that this might be possible on a 13
course.
Reading and answering to two lists in two languages on roughly the
same topic can lead to confusion.

The two topics were so close. On the French list the question raised
was about the historical validity of single diapason archlutes, but
also the possibility of stringing archlutes in gut.
Again one lutist enthusiastically defended the beauty of the gut
sound even on an arch lute (Pascal Gallon http://luth.chez-
alice.fr/); and a number of other lutists declared that they would
like to try gut. In France, unlike the UK, in recent years lutists
seemed to have gone completely over to Nylgut, and French lutemakers
appeared to have largely gone along with this fashion. Although
Stephen Murphy, in France, and Carlos Gonzales in Spain (but with
ties in France) are still very much open to producing gut strung lutes.

> Foir archlutes or theorbos, one can get very long mensurs.  My
> archlute is in all gut diapasons, and the length is about 140 cm.
Yes Howard Posner says he uses  theorbo gut at 167 cm. Clearly the
limit might be realated to the strength of the top strings, as you
have suggested yourself.

> Please listen to Toyohiko Satoh's recording of Weichemberger, or to
> Paul Beier's recording of 11 course Weiss.  Both have 11 course
> lutes entirely strung in gut, and they are astonishingly beautiful.
I will try to listen to them, but on computer there is no way i am
going to hear the delicate nuances of gut strings; I wonder if these
recordings are still edited*. I have of course heard Jakob Lindberg's
Rauwolf playing both German and French music, which he said was
entirely strung in gut. He mentioned Sofracob, but I thought I saw
that the lowest diapasons had that tell-tale reddishness of Mimmo
Peruffo's loaded gut.

*This leads me to a separate question about listening systems, but I
won't add that here as it is not directly relevant to our topic.
Thank you again for your help and advice. It is really appreciated.
Regards
Anthony