Anthony Hind wrote:

> The person I quoted realised they had made a mistake, but my question
> coming from that was,  does length play any role in the breaking point
> of a string, or is it simply tension, thickness and the material it is
> made from?
>
> Again the answer is probably obvious and a basic physics textbook
> answer is no doubt to hand. Unfortunately, I don't have access to one.
>
> I am happy there are so many people replying that are using gut
> strings. I certainly hope to be able to use gut on a future Baroque
> lute.
> My fear however, is that indeed the top strings become even more
> fragile on a Baroque lute than on my 60 cms Renaissance lute.

I don't think length per se makes a string more fragile, at least not
at the lengths we're talking about here.  I've still got the original
167cm extension strings on my theorbo; they sound fine after 15 years.
  The instrument doesn't get heavy use, and I note in passing that I've
never seen a suspension bridge held up by gut cables.

But all other things being equal, a longer string is going to be
thinner.  The strings of an A third course at 70 cm will tend to be
about 85% the diameter of third-course strings at the same pitch on a
60 cm lute.  This will tend to make them more fragile.