Dear All,

I have used two kinds of walnut (European and American black) for lute
backs.  It works as well as anything acoustically, so there's no reason
not to use it.  The density may be comparable to sycamore, but it is
nowhere near as dense as birdseye maple.  It is rather porous, but takes
varnish well and is not (as far as I can see) oily.  Both species have a
tendency to be a cold brown, tending toward grey, but can be very
attractive.  One interesting feature I noticed - when ribs are bent with
heat they tend to stay bent, unlike most timbers which usually have some
tendency to unbend a little.

My most recent walnut lute was a 6c with holly spacers and a holly
veneered neck - unfortunately the photos are on a disk I can't access at
the moment but I will post them a.s.a.p.

Best wishes,

Martin