Anthony,
     My appologies, perhaps I was being a little clever there.

     My experience is only with American Black Walnut. European Walnut is not
as strong and could work out differently.

    So, referring to American Black Walnut:

     Walnut wood is not oily.
     Walnut wood has been used to make many fine instruments.
     Waunut is used for gunstocks because it is strong and looks good. The best
figured walnut gunstocks are made from a section of wood at the base of the
tree taken from both the above and below the ground portions of the stump,
allowing heavy figure on the buttstock and straighter grain in the forestock
area.

     For purposes of instrument building, one has to take into account that
walnut has an open grain which, in very thin pieces (such as lute ribs) will
make it prone to lengthwise fractures.
     It heat bends very nicely.

Craig

Craig R. Pierpont
Another Era Lutherie
www.anotherera.com

Anthony Hind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Craig
Of course walnut oil comes form walnuts. The local village where my
wife comes from presses, walnuts for the oil. Olive oil comes from
olives, doesn't prevent the olive wood from being oily. It is not the
sound of the gun that was being referred to (I believ) but a certain
cushioning of the recoil, and the non-fracturing of the stock. The
message does not actually mention oilyness, but the association with
teak, and the fact that olive wood is so oily (and its fruits produce
oil) made me think perhaps this was also the case of walnut.