From: Ron Fletcher [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 1:07 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Willie Loman of the 17th century?

Joachim wrote...

"Als ich han dies buech geschriben /
Bin ich schier im fasse blieben"

('While I was writing this book, deeply into the barrel I did look' or -
more close to the words -: 'I nearly ended in the barrel').

Ah, now I understand it to be...

"Though I have written this book, I was *scraping-the-barrel".

*An English term often used when comedians are running out of gags!

So, 'Writing bravely'...Is this like the American term, "Publish and be
damned" (of the consequences)?

Johann Wolff Gehard I am named
Nurnburg is my fatherland
Paper is my speciality